squirrel moments

Chronicling my roadtrip to record the history of Notre Dame . . . and what's more Notre Dame than squirrels?

Monday, January 21, 2008

Super-adorable!

It's four hours from Jensen Beach to Jacksonville, four hours from Jacksonville to Charleston, and four hours from Charleston to Raleigh. And last week I discovered that there's nothing longer than a four-hour drive. Two hours, and you're practically there before you had a chance to switch out your CD. Eight hours, and you go into it prepared for a day-long trip. But I haven't quite mastered the psychological prep needed for the Four...you think it's going to be short and easy, but then you get hungry, and you have to stop for gas, etc. It's the worst, because when you've only got two more hours to go, you get this feeling like you just cannot go on. On three out of the four four-hour drives on this entire trip, I have needed to stop at a rest area and take a power-nap in my car. I'm a little concerned about the Raleigh-to-DC trip awaiting me this weekend...

In any case, after a couple of interviews in Jacksonville last Wednesday, I set out for Charleston, SC. It was my first-ever trip to South Carolina, and hopefully not my last. I stayed with my friends Griff and Kara; Griff was editor of Scholastic our senior year at ND, and he and Kara have been dating since we graduated. They moved from northern Indiana outside of South Bend to Charleston just in time to put me up for a few nights. Of course, this will probably complicate hosting their annual summertime tailgate, when a group of our classmates, mostly Midwest-based, descend upon their house for a weekend of burgers, beer, and a tape of one of ND's great victories from the previous season. On the other hand, maybe this is a good year to skip that tradition...

As ill-fortune and the Verizon network/Motorola conspiracy would have it (that's for another blog entry), I was not able to do an interview in Charleston as planned. But the upside was that I had plenty of time to sleep in and then explore downtown Charleston with Griff. Charleston was absolutely charming—it's right on the ocean, it's brimming with history, the houses are all painted bright colors, and I hear that in springtime, the world seems to be dripping with wisteria vines and azaleas. Not that I read the guidebook or anything. Even in the cold drizzle, Griff and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon taking photos and rambling around town, and at one point, I turned to him and said, "Wow, Griff, this place is super-adorable!" And though he laughed, he agreed that it's true. In the evening, Kara met us for sushi and the three of us sampled some local brews before heading home, where Griff and I stayed up until 2 in the morning talking about my trip, his recent 6-week backpacking trip through Ireland, and the joys of getting 8 hours of sleep.

The next morning, after a blissful 8 hours, I drove four hours to my uncle's house in Raleigh, stopping, of course, for a quick nap along the way.

4 Comments:

  • At January 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Trish Ryan said...

    You're back!!!

    No offense to Alfredo and his wise understanding of all things philosophic, but if the examined life approach to blogging knocks you out of the blogsphere for weeks at a time, then it's just not worth it. On behalf of your dedicated readership, I beg you: Bring back the colloquialisms! Abandon the colon and the topic sentence! Return to the unfettered joy of slang, contractions, and unorthodox punctuation!

    (We should all steer clear of the adverbs, though. According to Stephen King, the road to Hell is paved with them.)

     
  • At January 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Greer Hannan said...

    woah... 6 weeks of backpacking in Ireland.

     
  • At January 24, 2008 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I see that you've glossed right over our visit to the Museum of Postal History. Perhaps you didn't care to mention how you faced Death himself in the eyes of an inanimate postman?

    In other news, I'm preparing to begin a blog myself, solely dedicated to the observation of worldwide azalea and wisteria-vine liquefaction. It turns out that here in Charleston I have the perfect vantage point to detail this mysterious process.

    Luckily, the football-party tradition doesn't require us to use a game from the previous year. (It's a darn good thing, too, as we would be reduced to watching Notre Dame's 20-6 victory over UCLA, which, we quickly would remember, was thanks to taking out their quarterback and then recovering 6 turnovers.) In fact, a game can be pulled from any year -- and the early word on the street is that we might see some Joe Montana action this year, but don't tell anyone I said anything!

    Thanks for visiting us, Katie! It was awesome to see you. Good luck with the rest of your trip!

     
  • At January 24, 2008 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Katie said...

    Thanks, Griff! The Postal Museum oversight was certainly unintentional--and you shouldn't make fun, that mannequin was freakishly life-like!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home