squirrel moments

Chronicling my roadtrip to record the history of Notre Dame . . . and what's more Notre Dame than squirrels?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

When I grow up, I want to be retired.

Last Tuesday, I drove from L.A. to Tucson, stopping in Palm Desert along the way to interview John Manion. John is the secretary for the class of '56, which has kind of adopted me and my project, which has been AWESOME. I have spoken with a '56er in nearly every city I've gone to, and members of the class are always calling and sending me encouraging emails. Say it with me: Awwww...Anyway, the '56ers are in very close touch, due in large part to John's weekly emails and monthly newsletter, and it was fun to see his HQ/command center, which includes a 6-ft. signed portrait of Knute Rockne. For real.

Four hours later, I was back on the road, and by that time, it was getting late. I watched the sun set over the mountains in California, then headed on in the dark to Tucson, where I was to stay with Vin and Peg Boyen. Vin and Peg are native New Yorkers who retired to AZ a few years ago, and their house is basically their dream Western-style home. The next morning, I woke up and went out on the back patio, and there in front of me was this amazing desert paradise. First of all, it was 70 degrees and sunny, and then there were all these cacti and a perfect view of the Catalina Mountains. It was so different from anything I've ever seen, and so beautiful that it actually seemed fake, if that makes any sense. I guess I mean it felt that weird to be there, especially since I'd made the topographical transition in the dark. This is my first time ever in Arizona, and I really wasn't expecting to like it so much. It immediately called to mind this great moment in Lawrence of Arabia, where this journalist asks Lawrence what he likes about the desert, and he says, "I like it because it's clean." Which is kind of counter-intuitive, since it's all dusty, but it's really true; it's so hot in the sun, even in November, and the dust actually absorbs or blows over anything that's out there for long that isn't alive. And it turns out that dry heat means my hair looks perfect every day--bonus!

I showed up in Tucson on the right day, because the ND Club was having their monthly luncheon. So I went and met a bunch of people and filled up my schedule for the next few days. And then I spent the rest of the day touring Tucson with Vin. He took me to Saguaro National Park, which is basically a forest of cacti in the mountains. I think my eyes were popping out of my head, and I was giving Katie Holmes a run for her money on the "amazing" front, which he and Peg got a real kick out of. Then we went back to the house and had a glass of wine while watching the sun set over the mountains. The Boyens were so awesome, and they introduced me to a bunch of their friends. So for a few days, I got to be part of the Cool Retired Guys and Their Awesome Wives Club. And I found out that when you retire, you pretty much get to do some of the most enjoyable things in life—reading, going to the movies, eating at nice restaurants, taking naps, Sunday crosswords—all the time. Makes me wish I had a 401k...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home