squirrel moments

Chronicling my roadtrip to record the history of Notre Dame . . . and what's more Notre Dame than squirrels?

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Happy Birthday, Pete!

I wanted to put this post separately so Pete would get a shout-out in the title! Yesterday was my youngest brother's 17th birthday, and I got to call and wish him well from the Badlands—I know, enough about the Badlands, but this actually has some significance. As those of you who can do math have realized, Pete is exactly 10 years younger than I am, and although it was fun having him around at first, around month 4 or 5, it got a little boring. He was in that awkward phase of infancy where you can't walk or talk, but you're not really new any more, so your older siblings get a bit tired of you.

Of course, my other brothers and I were creative, and Peteball got to be a popular sport, but that ended abruptly when my mom rather forcefully pointed out the risks to Peter's health and to ours if that continued. In short, we had hit the Doldrums of Pete. To allay this phenomenon, my dad began "Conversations with Pete" at dinner. He would prop the baby up on his lap, and we would all take turns asking him questions about his favorite things. "Pete, what's your favorite fruit?" "What's your favorite unit of measurement?" And my dad would voice the answers, always emphasizing the letter 'p': "I like peaches and pears!" "amPeres!" And of course, "what's your favorite national landmark?" "The Pete-trified Forest!" So yesterday I got to wish Peter a happy birthday from a pete-trified landscape.

5 Comments:

  • At October 10, 2007 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Drew said...

    Oh, my, God. If this story were any cuter, then I'd submit it directly to The Wonder Years!

    Tho... enough about the Badlands. Been there, wowwed that. -Glad you got to see it.

     
  • At October 10, 2007 at 1:44 PM , Blogger Trish Ryan said...

    This is hysterical! I remember Pete during that phase of his young life...why didn't we get to play Peteball or Conversations with Pete when you guys came to Maine???

    Can we rectify this at the next family gathering?

     
  • At October 10, 2007 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Trish Ryan said...

    Happy Birthday Pete!!!

     
  • At October 10, 2007 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Katie said...

    hmmm...you'll have to ask Pete if he's up for that--and figure out if you're up for it, since he's about 6 feet tall now!

     
  • At October 11, 2007 at 8:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yea Trish, I think you'll find that my dad will have a hard time propping me up on his lap.

    Anyway, thanks Kate for the shoutout. And may I say it for the millionth time-- YOU PEOPLE ARE SICK!! I'm sorry I didn't entertain you more when I was 4-5 months old-- I was saving my best for may adolescent years (insert Donner party joke here). Anyway thanks again and I hope you're safe!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home